Saturday, May 2, 2009

Update: Seomun Market

So I went back to Seomun with my very own tour guide! My Korean friend Jin offered to take me and I conveniently left out the fact that I had already been just so I could have someone that actually knows what they're talking about. And it was so worth it!

I'm sure I wore Jin out with my million questions... but I learned so much!

For example:

There this small fish that they cook pretty inhumanely. They have two ways of doing it too. Either they put it into a blender while it's still alive and squirming, and blend it into a sticky jelly pulp. Or they boil it alive in water (but wait, it gets better!) and then throw tofu in there. Which, in case you didn't know, gets hotter than the water... but the fish don't know that. So, when the fish feel the water getting hotter, they burrow into the tofu--only to be burned alive. Then when the soup is done, they take out the tofu and chop it up... and you can see burrowed bits of fish inside the tofu. Nice, huh?

Also (I think it's the same small fish)-- this fish is "commonly" used as a male enhancement drug. hehe.

There was also this root that looks similar to a yam on the outside and is roughly the same size as well, but inside it has holes! Apparently it's a lotus root. I was definitely surprised since the lotus flower doesn't seem big enough to have such a large root! But tis true.

While at the market I tried a dried jujube! The taste was familiar, but I couldn't place it... and then Jin pointed out that it tasted like ketchup! Which hit the nail right on the head.

I also tried a dried and "candied" persimmon. Which, apparently we do have in America even though I've never heard of the fruit in my life! At first, it was a strange texture... chewy and mushy at the same time... but then as I ate it, I realized I was really enjoying it! Yum dried fruit! The actually fruit itself when not dried kinda looks like a tomato to me...

The last thing I tried was some black bean tofu. It looked like normal tofu, except with some black specks. However, I think it tasted better than normal tofu! (But that doesn't mean I'm going to eat more of it...)

We also explored more of the seafood section and the animal section. This culture defintely has an affinity towards seafood! Squid, octupus and fish are everywhere in all shapes, sizes and textures!

Dried sting ray.... I can't believe they actually eat these!

Fish on a stick... yum.

Dried octopus, anyone?

The animal section... with the live hares for eating, the dead quails for eating, the live chickens for eating, and the live... puppies for eating? Hmm... (I will say that Jin swares they're not for eating, but I dunno.)

All in all it was a fantastically productive trip! I learned much more than this... but it's all I can remember off the top of my head. Other things I kinda remember include: chinese herbal medicine, bottom-of-the-pan rice cakes, grilled seaweed, and pickled shrimp.

Let's just say that having a Korean friend to explain things is definitely a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment