Sunday, May 31, 2009

Food!

Recently, I've had a few new experiences with food.

There's a place by my work called "2900" and they boast that everything on their menu is less than 3,000 won. (Which it isn't.) But it's not bad for how cheap it actually is! Jin and I went because they advertised Korean curry... but apparently they had run out of it for the day. So... I got "omu rice" (오무라이스)--which is basically a rice omelet with some chicken on the side. And Jin got "deop-bob" (덮밥) which was a bit like fried rice, with veggies and meat.

Then yesterday, Jin took me to this Korean flea market! It was pretty amazing and so funny because all I could think of was my mom and how she would've loved it. haha.

But there was this guy at the entrance by the food tents, and he was making this "snack." It looked like a feathery cookie! It's called "kkool-tae-rae" and means "bunch of honey." Jin said it used to be a favorite snack of the king. I was curious, so I went over and the guy (with Jin translating) explained to me how he made it. I had forgotten my camera so I couldn't film it and I was so upset with myself because this was so cool! BUT being the resourceful person I am, I found it on youtube!

Step 1: takes a small ball of dough and throws it into this big bucket of cornstarch
Step 2: molds the dough into a small donut shape
Step 3: heats up the dough with his body heat so it's malliable (otherwise it's as hard as a rock!)
Step 4: then--almost like magic--twists the dough and doubles it so many times over!
Step 5: breaks the thousands of little feathery strings into smaller chunks
Step 6: fills it with a honey/nut mix that tastes almost like a sweet peanut butter!

Yum! ^^

1 comment:

  1. I looked up a dictionary and think "skein" or "bindle" might be more precise translation than "bunch" for Korean word "Ta-rae." ^^*

    ReplyDelete